A Wedding Story: The Ceremony

10.22.2012











Many people don't remember much about their wedding ceremony, but I did everything I could to take it all in.  Some of my favorite parts:

* There was a 100% chance of rain at 5:30pm on October 8, 2011 in Clay Center, KS.  God held the storm clouds off, and we walked down the aisle, dry.

* The bridal party walked in to the song "Lovers In Japan, Reign of Love," by Coldplay.  I remember driving home at sunset one night and this song came on my ipod, I just knew it was the song I wanted to walk down the aisle to.  If you want to give it a listen while you read the rest of the post, just click play below!

Lovers in Japan/reign of Love by Coldplay on Grooveshark

* My dad gave me away.  At our rehearsal, each time we practiced the "handoff" James would say, who gives this woman to this man, and he would always respond, "The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, and her mother and I."  I just loved it, loved it, loved it!  But sadly, the day of, he only said "her mother and I," but I know what he truly meant in his heart.

*  Our guests sat in a round.  Our platform, beautifully created by my Dad, Uncle Mark, neighbor Mike, and others was in the center of the yard, with tables surrounding us.  We truly felt surrounded by love!

* Our good friend, and pastor, James, married us.  It was fun to have someone who truly knows Dane and I standing right there with us.  I'm pretty sure James even gave Dane some dating advice, back in the day when I refused to date Dane.  Thanks for always have my back James.  James message for us was that we should strive to be a "habitual couple."  A goal I feel we are trying to bring into our marriage relationship.

* At one point, during the ceremony, Dane freaked out and thought he had lost the rings.  During a prayer he whispered to me "where's the rings?" and I assured him they were with his brother Drew, and then we started giggling.

* Many of our neighbors sat in their backyards and watched our wedding.  We told them they were welcome to come, but they said they wanted to enjoy it from their backyard.  At one point I looked over at my neighbor Leon, and saw him sitting in his lawn chair in his backyard, just smiling.  Then I saw our friend Phil, climbing up Leon's deck with his camera, in order to get the perfect angle for a picture.  He kept climbing higher and higher, and I was really really hoping he would eventually find himself on Leon's roof to get the perfect shot.  Sadly it never happened, but I love the pics you took Phil, thank you so much for doing that!

* Dane and I have never been into the whole unity candle thing.  The symbolism is beautiful, there is usually a really beautiful song played during that time, but it often feels like the bride and groom just stare at their guests awkwardly for about 5 minutes.  Instead, we had a time of prayer.  Couples who have been significant in Dane and my relationship, as well as our parents, prayed over Dane and I, and the rest of our guests had times of prayer at their tables.  Our brothers, Drew and Brock, performed the most beautiful duet, a version of Sufjan Stevens Holy, Holy, Holy.  Right as the song ended and the people surrounding us said Amen, very soft, gentle sprinkles fell from the sky for about 5 seconds.  I believe God was raining down blessings on us.

Holy, Holy, Holy by Sufjan Stevens on Grooveshark

* At one moment, James had us pause and look around our wedding, to take it in, and realize all of the people there who support us, and love us.  It was so much fun to see the smiles of everyone and our friend Adam on the side, giving me the biggest thumbs up and cheese ball smile I have ever seen.

* Mr. & Mrs. Dane Wutke were announced, we kissed, and then, as if it was perfectly timed, the 6pm town whistle went off!

* We walked out to the song, Higher, performed by Dane's brother, Drew. I love this song!   Just makes you feel like dancing!

Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher by Audio Adrenaline on Grooveshark

* Our wedding ceremony brought us so much joy!  It is fun to relive it, and I am thankful I can remember so many precious moments from the day.

xoxo
The Kids Down Under

The pictures above were taken by the lovely and wonderful Stephanie from Brown Bag Photography.  Check out more of her work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment