The Pinterest Trials: Pamper

11.16.2012


We all love pinterest.  There are days when I think I am more addicted than anyone else in the world.  I can spend hours chasing rabbit trails of ideas, inspiration, diy's, fashion, beauty tips, recipes, and make at home techniques.  One pin, leads to another board, leads to another persons board, leads to a blog, which leads to another pin on a completely different topic.  Oh how I love it.  But over time, pins build up.  You look over your boards and wonder to yourself, does any of this stuff even work or did somebody whip together a good concoction , make it look lovely, and throw some pictures up on the world wide web?

That's where this new feature comes in, The Pinterest Trials.  Each feature I will chose a different topic on pinterest, try it out, and let you know how it worked.  What I liked about it, and what I didn't like about it.

We are going to begin with the topic of beauty.  Beauty products here in Australia are ridiculously expensive.  I'm talking $26.00 for a small thing of Revlon blush that I am just dying to own, but holding out for two more weeks when I can pick it up in the USA.  (sorry just a little rant there).   Another expensive thing I have found here is skin care.  Now I know skin care is nothing to fool around with, but I figure some at home natural remedy would beat chemically filled drugstore items any day, so I thought, why not give it a chance?

The three items I'm trying out this week are:



1. At Home Microdermabrasion:
This post originally came from Confessions of a Wisconsin Housewife.  It caught my attention because it promised glowing skin, which is not an adjective I have ever used to describe my skin, but would like to start!  I followed the instructions just like the recipe said (there are lots of alternative options in the comments section of this post).  The paste felt very nice going on my skin, although the smell wasn't anything to be desired.  I did the swirly motion while applying and let it sit for five minutes.  As it sits it will dry out a bit, and I had to laugh because I later noticed that wherever I had been during those 5 minutes, I had a trail of white crumbs that had followed me.

After rinsing off I didn't notice a glow like the picture above.  My skin did feel a bit dry, so I put on some moisturizer, and viola.  Now, my glow is nothing like the girl above, but I am pretty sure she is loaded up with make up.  I don't know ANYONE'S skin who looks that good naturally.

Would I try this again?  Yeah, I would.  My skin does feel super clean and quite refreshed.  I have never had real deal microdermabrasion, from a spa or dermatologist, so I am not sure how the results compare, but yes, I would say this one is worth a try.  Plus, you probably have the ingredients in your kitchen cupboard.

2. Keiko Lynn's Travel Skin Care
At home I love using St. Ives exfoliating apricot scrub on my face in order to have super smooth skin.  Once again, looking for a way to save a bit of cash, I decided to seek out an at home exfoliant.  I came across Keiko Lynn's website and loved her travel skin care post, and decided to try out her hotel remedy exfoliant, which is nothing more than honey and sugar.

Immediately, I ran downstairs and grabbed the honey jar and a stick of raw sugar I had been given for a coffee at a cafe.  I simply put a spoonful of honey in my hand and dumped the sugar packet into the honey.  I mixed them together and then rubbed on my face.  Although a bit sticky feeling, the smell was incredible.  If it happened to get in my mouth, I didn't mind, sugar + sugar = yum!

My skin was so smooth, and felt so moisturized.  I used what I had left on my hands and loved this result as well.

Yes, I would do this again in a heart beat.  It takes less than a minute and will make your skin feel fantasticly happy.

(Just a note, I did try the tea bag idea as well.  It worked a bit, but wasn't as dramatic as I was hoping.  Apparently what I really need is more sleep to perk up these tired eyes).

3.  Brown Sugar Oatmeal Scrub
Who doesn't want their skin to feel smooth as butter?  That's what this pin from glamour promises.  Once again, a mixture of items that most of us have in the kitchen pantry and away we go!

So the instructions say you should do this scrub on a towel, let the big chunks flake off, and then step into the shower, but i just went straight into the shower.  Probably would have been a better idea to let the oatmeal chunks fall on the floor, because this made my shower quite a mess.  But it wasn't promising a clean shower was it?  (That's a pinterest trial for another day).  

As for the scrub.  it did feel really good going on  The smell made me want to go and make oatmeal cookies.  I considered eating it for a second (it was almost dinner time).  After I rinsed off, my skin really did feel smooth, like what I would think your skin would feel like it if you covered yourself in butter, super moist.  This feeling lasted, until the next morning when I jumped in the shower before work.  So yes, you will have super soft skin, sadly, it will only last until your next shower.  Will I try again?  Probably not, too messy and I was hoping for more long term effects, BUT it was fun, I just rather save my oatmeal and brown sugar for the cookies.  

(Oh, and one more thought.  I would not recommend using all of these ideas on your face on the same day.  I didn't, and neither should you.  Each item is meant to exfoliate.  Too much exfoliating and you will have some super dry and irritated skin.  And nobody wants that).

I hope you have enjoyed our new feature.  We'll be back with more of the pinterest trials in the future.  If you would like to follow the girlie Christy pinterest boards you can do so here.  If you would like to follow more manly pinterest boards, check out Dane's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment