The Road We Travel

10.31.2013


Our time in Australia is drawing to a close, and I can't help but become very reflective.  The past two years have been so life-changing and eye opening.  There is such an array of emotions that flood my heart with the thoughts of going home, but with that said, here are a few ways Australia has affected my life.

* Driving on the left hand side of the road and the right hand side of the car has become completely normal.  I am now really good with roundabouts and remembering which one is the blinker lever and which is the windshield wipers (or as they would say here...wind screen)

* I say tomato sauce instead of ketchup and banana instead of banana.  I know you can't hear that one, but trust me you will when I get home.

* I drink flat whites, lattes, and caps, not a drop of sugar added because that just ruins the flavour.

* And with that statement I should say, I now spell the following words like this: favourite, colour, flavour, harbour and it is going to take a while to get that out of my system.

* I love the drinks Lemon Lime and Bitters and Ginger Beer.

* I will never free refills or authentic Mexican food for granted again.

* I will be buying a juicer when I get home and you can come over for fresh squeezed OJ.  

* For parties I will now, instead of bringing little smokies, offer to bring sausage rolls.  You are going to love them.

* Candy is now known as lollies, french fries are hot chips and cotton candy is fairy floss.

So this is just a fun list of how things have changed for me.  Spiritually, mentally, emotionally: I think I could write a book.  And instead of writing all of that here, I would much rather grab a cup of coffee (or a bowl of bottomless chips and salsa and free refill Dr. Pepper) and discuss.  

For those of you who don't know, Dane and I begin our journey back to the USA on December 3rd.  We were blessed to have a friend let us use their buddy passes so we will be flying stand by all the way back to Kansas.  If all goes well we will arrive in Kansas City December 3rd (thank you international date line).  And then we get to begin the next steps of our life journey together.  

We love you all and really appreciate you reading about our lives here!

The Kids Down Under

No comments:

Post a Comment