Super Bowl Food from Australia

1.29.2014

It has been two years since we have watched a Super Bowl on US soil.  I can't even tell you how excited we are about this.  One thing Australia did teach us is how to make an amazing appetizer that would be a hit at any Super Bowl Party, Sausage Rolls.  I must say thank you to my lovely friend and housemate Sarah Anne for the sausage roll lessons.  Now, here we go.



Sausage Rolls
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 pound ground sausage
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 TB tomato sauce (the Australian word for ketchup)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 egg beaten
3 puff pastry sheets thawed

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.  Heat olive oil on stovetop and then brown onions.

2. Now combine the browned onions, pound of sausage (yes raw....I know it shocked me too), breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, a little salt and pepper and egg in a bowl to create the sausage roll filling.

3. Cut pastry sheets in half.  Divide filling into 6 equal portions, form a sausage down the center of the pastry sheet.

4. Roll pastry and sausage into a tube.  Cut rolls about 1 ½ inches thick.  Place on the tray seam side down.  To help with browning, I like to splash a little milk on the top.  Then bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.


Serve the sausage rolls with tomato or bbq sauce.

I hope you'll try this Aussie treat out  at your Super Bowl Party this Sunday (or Monday morning if you're in Australia).  Speaking of Super Bowl, who are you cheering for?  I'm going to have to say....the Chiefs.  Maybe next year right?  So if I have to chose, you'll find me cheering on the Seahawks this weekend.  Yes, I know my Seattle friends are proud!  Happy Super Bowl Weekend Everyone!  D+C

No comments:

Post a Comment